In the past children having received the S.A.F.E. Program have saved their own life as well as their loved ones.
Twelve (12) in the 1995-96 school year, twenty-two (22) in the 1996-97 school year and eight (8) in the 1997-98 school year. Stories like:
- A 12-year old boy blocks smoke by closing door and covering cracks with a blanket to save four younger siblings.
- A girl leads brother through smoke in house to outdoors by crawling low under smoke.
- Brother calls rescuers on 9-1-1 to save sister from choking.
- Smoke detector awakens 7-year old who awakens family and instructs them to "get out."
- Family who rehearsed home escape plan use it to get out alive.